Changes, modifications, and more changes.
Starting off with making the structure lighter:
We have decided to drastically reduce the amount of wood used in the building process. The main issue was the bottom of the bed. Previously, it was a block of wood strapped together to form a generic rectangle. This was obviously not a possibility, therefore we have designed a new supporting structure which consists of 4 identical feet: these feet are similar in structural design to a small metallic roof of a bus stop. A full size, usable test was built to confirm its structural soundness. Using it like a chair did not cause any damage, in fact, the compression made the joints even stronger and ensured no lateral slipping. The feet will alternate on the structure to ensure a certain symmetry. It should be also noted that no glue, screws, or any other bonding agent was used.
Finally, we have also decided to buy flat wood surfaces to cover the large areas of the element.
Now on to the newly implemented mechanism to ensure interesting movement within our element:
Instead of a transformation, we decided to "force" our concept upon the user - no matter which position you angle the headrest, the window will always be above you in an optimal fashion (the external surface of the window stays parallel to the inclined surface of the bed). By doing this, we want to ensure that the user will look up through the window at the blank sky.
An extra system was designed in Topsolid to block the side views of the user:
Essentially the bottom three sides of a hexagon:
Of course, this movement was drawn in three positions overlaid in the form of a plan, elevation, and frontal elevation.
Construction details were also done to review the feasability on paper instead of on a computer:
As previously stated, our element is supposed to replace one of the bus stops within the collection of hybrids.
Within this collection, there are two bus stops. We decided to overlay them in a somewhat unorthodox manner. The plans were drawn in an axonometry with just the area of interest (the bus stops) extruded from these plans. The goal was a comparitive analysis of these two seperate areas based on the bus stops.
It should be noted that the hybrids do not actually conform to the actual size of the bus stop as seen on the large plan elevation of plot number 17 (they are bigger to ensure visibilty and importance of the program that is public transport).