• From wood to plaster

    Par Stanislas Nicolas, 07/10/19



    This week we molded our tile in plaster. We reduced the scale of the tile to have a length of 21 cm.


    Image Mon Oct 07 2019 08:23:43 GMT+0200 (CEST)Image Mon Oct 07 2019 08:23:43 GMT+0200 (CEST)


    As usual we drew a few sketches to better visualize the work we had to do and the correct measurements we needed.


    Image Mon Oct 07 2019 08:23:43 GMT+0200 (CEST)Image Mon Oct 07 2019 08:23:43 GMT+0200 (CEST)


    We measured and cut the cardboard of the mold and glued reinforcements on the sides and painted a thin layer of shellac seal it all. Our four sided dam was ready.


    Image Mon Oct 07 2019 08:23:43 GMT+0200 (CEST)Image Mon Oct 07 2019 08:23:43 GMT+0200 (CEST)


    The plaster fitting in the mold. Unfortunately, the plaster we created was too liquid which made the cardboard a little wavy. But it didn't affect the visible final product.


    Image Mon Oct 07 2019 08:23:43 GMT+0200 (CEST)


    Speaking of which...


    The process of casting the mold and creating the plaster was very interesting, a first timer for all of us.



    Image Mon Oct 07 2019 08:23:43 GMT+0200 (CEST)Image Mon Oct 07 2019 08:23:43 GMT+0200 (CEST)


    Image Mon Oct 07 2019 08:23:43 GMT+0200 (CEST)Image Mon Oct 07 2019 08:23:43 GMT+0200 (CEST)


    The Docta Manus in action...                                               ... and a columned "city" appeared on our table

    Image Mon Oct 07 2019 08:23:43 GMT+0200 (CEST)                     Image Mon Oct 07 2019 08:23:43 GMT+0200 (CEST)


    Finally, we drew an exploded axonomery of our mold to even better visualize how all the parts fit in the mold.


    Image Mon Oct 07 2019 08:23:43 GMT+0200 (CEST)



















  • Study of the curved floor of the Pantheon through drawings and wooden model

    Par Stanislas Nicolas, 28/09/19


    Image Sat Sep 28 2019 15:44:34 GMT+0200 (CEST)

    Our first works goal was to recreate a 1:2 model of the curved floor of the pantheon in Rome. The scheme was divided into "tiles" we had to build in groups of two. We used 700x5x3 mm wood sticks to recreate the outline of the "tile".



    Image Sat Sep 28 2019 15:44:34 GMT+0200 (CEST)


    To better visualize the scheme and the measurements we needed, we drew sketches of key parts of the tile.



    Image Sat Sep 28 2019 15:44:34 GMT+0200 (CEST)


    To create the curvature, the height of the "pillars" were usually different from one another. For instance, our model had three different heights. We found them by taking the corresponding tile of the mirroring quarter (which already had the correct measurements) and mirrored them on our tile.

    Image Sat Sep 28 2019 15:44:34 GMT+0200 (CEST)

    Final product


    Following the model, we did precise drawings of our creation. We used two A1 papers to draw a plan, two side cuts and an axonometry of the tile. For my part, the axonometry was the most complex bit. I tried different pencil leads and different pressures to see which "type" of line was most suitable.



    Image Sat Sep 28 2019 15:44:34 GMT+0200 (CEST)


    Image Sat Sep 28 2019 15:44:34 GMT+0200 (CEST)